Yaz!

Celebrating Boston Red Sox baseball great Carl Yastrzemski.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Monbo


Nice story from the Boston Globe
on sixties Red Sox pitcher Bill Monbouquette who is battling leukemia.

[Monbouquette] also motivated an immature, young Yaz, who wasn't running out ground balls and was pouting in the outfield. "He made the comment that 'if that ball goes in the corner, I'm not going to hustle after it.' I said, 'If you don't hustle, you better make sure you have your head up when you come in after the inning's over.' I chased him down and said to him, 'Let me tell you something, pal, they've run better players than you out of this town.' I was the senior guy there. I felt it was my duty to do that. He was mad for a while . . . but, boy, in '67, he couldn't do anything wrong. "


Get well, Monbo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home