Yaz!

Celebrating Boston Red Sox baseball great Carl Yastrzemski.

Thursday, March 06, 2008

American Icons

Carl Yastrzemski has just taken a mighty swing, and he is peering skyward and forward, willing the ball to remain airborne until it sails over the right field fence. His long legs are twisted almost beyond the laws of physics, his red-and-white socks matching the patriotic bunting on the railing behind him.

The image of Boston's beloved Yaz is not a commemorative photo from one of his finest games, but a painting by Lance Richbourg, a veteran painter who combines a well-honed artistic vision with a legacy as the son of a major leaguer.

The painting is featured in Richbourg's show "American Icons," on exhibit through April 12 at the New England College Gallery in Henniker - perfectly timed for those who find themselves mildly obsessed even with news from spring training and its promise of Opening Day and an end to an endless winter.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi,YAZ! i'm nick I did a biography report on you for school. I REALLY liked doing it. I play little league. I stuck out 5 batters and caught a pop up to get 6 outs. You are one of my role models. I used perminent marker on the back of my blank RED SOX shirt to write your name. My dad watched you play the first game he went to was in 1967! Remember that year YAZ? My dad sure does! I go to HOXIE ELEMENTRY SCHOOL in Sagamore MASS.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home